In fifth grade, students explore natural phenomena and the designed world across nine month-long units. As scientists and engineers, students evaluate, analyze, and model the relationships between observable components of different systems across life science, Earth and space sciences, physical science, and technology/engineering.
Each homeschool science kit contains the following for each student:
- consumable materials for Units 1-9
- non-consumable materials forUnits 1-9
- one set of Student Lab Manuals for Units 1-9
Each teacher receives:
- 1-Year online subscription to the KnowAtom Interactive for teachers to access the teacher guides for each unit, student lab manuals, visuals, tools, read-aloud videos, templates, Spanish translations, training resources and more
Each scaffolding unit in this year-long kit is designed to take 1 month to complete:
- In Unit 1 Matter in Motion, students are introduced to the scientific process as they analyze matter in the universe and Earth’s place in the solar system.
- In Unit 2 Earth Materials, students explore how different geologic processes change Earth’s surface, and how the matter that makes up rock is constantly being transformed through heat and pressure.
- In Unit 3 Water on Earth, students analyze Earth’s interacting systems, focusing on how the hydrosphere interacts with and is influenced by the other systems.
- In Unit 4 Matter and Energy Cycles, students explore pond and forest ecosystems, analyzing how living things interact with one another and their environment for survival.
- In Unit 5 Ecosystem Interactions, students investigate how environmental changes impact the ability of organisms to survive, grow, and reproduce, passing their traits on to future generations.
- In Unit 6 Energy and Forces on Earth, students explore the phenomena of dog sled racing and roller coaster rides to analyze energy systems.
- In Unit 7 Matter and Electricity, students explore how devices such as doorbells and circuits function by investigating how electrical energy is transferred and can do work.
- In Unit 8 Matter and Sound, students explore the phenomena of echoes and concert hall acoustics by investigating how sound energy is transferred from one place to another in waves.
- In Unit 9 Light Energy and Matter, students explore how light energy moves and interacts with different kinds of matter such as mirrors, water, and architectural light shelves.
Adult Supervision Required at All Times.
ITEMS CONTAINED IN THIS KIT ARE NOT TOYS AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
Contains parts made in China. Packaged in the USA.