In kindergarten, students make observations about the world around them and start to identify why some changes occur as they begin to develop the practices that scientists and engineers use to help them answer questions and solve problems related to real-world phenomena.
Each Science Pod contains the following for each student:
- consumable materials for Units 1-9
- non-consumable materials forUnits 1-9
- one set of Student Lab Manuals for Units 1-9
Each teacher receives:
- 1-Year online subscription to the KnowAtom Interactive for teachers to access the teacher guides for each unit, student lab manuals, visuals, tools, read-aloud videos, templates, Spanish translations, training resources and more
- In Unit 1 Weather in Our World, students explore weather patterns on Earth and the sun’s role in warming Earth. Students experiment with wind, heat, and the temperature variation among different materials. They become engineers by using different materials to design a prototype solution for helping people stay cool on a hot beach.
- In Unit 2 Living Things Change, students explore life on Earth, comparing living and nonliving things and investigating what living things, including humans, need to survive. Students experiment with growing seeds, investigate habitats and explore human impact on the environment, particularly as related to trash and recycling.
- In Unit 3 Making Things Move, students investigate how pushes and pulls are forces that change the motion of an object. Students experiment with marbles and ramps to observe large and small forces. They also investigate friction and engineer a structure that guides a marble from on place to another.