In first grade, students become scientists and engineers as they explore different questions like scientists about the world around them and use their knowledge to solve real-world problems like engineers.
Each Science Pod contains the following for each student:
- consumable materials for Units 1-9
- non-consumable materials forUnits 1-9
- one set of Student Lab Manuals for Units 1-9
Each teacher receives:
- 1-Year online subscription to the KnowAtom Interactive for teachers to access the teacher guides for each unit, student lab manuals, visuals, tools, read-aloud videos, templates, Spanish translations, training resources and more
- *Optional Add-on: 1 microscope
- In Unit 1 Patterns in the Sky, students investigate patterns in the changing positions of the sun, moon, and stars in the sky.
- In Unit 2 Changing Seasons, students explore the relationship between Earth’s movement in the solar system and the changing seasons.
- In Unit 3 Seeds and Leaves, students explore living things, beginning with an investigation into the differences between living and nonliving things.
- In Unit 4 Animals on Earth, students analyze how animals have body parts that help them survive and grow.
- In Unit 5 Mimicking Plants and Animals, students explore how plants and animals have different body parts to help them get what they need to survive and grow.
- In Unit 6 Animal Behaviors, students investigate how animal parents help their offspring survive by analyzing protecting, feeding and comforting behaviors.
- In Unit 7 Hearing and Sound, students explore how some animals communicate using sound by experimenting with vibrating materials and musical instruments.
- In Unit 8 Sight and Light, students continue to learn about senses, exploring the cause-and-effect relationship between sight and light.
- In Unit 9 Communicating Over Distances, students apply sound and light concepts from Unit 8 to design a communication device that uses either light or sound signals to send a message over a long distance.